Want to Protect Your Home?
Have you noticed all the rain and storms sweeping Australia recently? You can only imagine how many home owners are at risk or have experienced property damage as a result.
According to Sydney electrician expert, Paul Edelman of Edelman Electrics, home owners need to “play it safe” and take preventative action in order to be protected from the next onslaught of rain, wind or hail.
Paul walks us through a short electrical safety guide.
Protecting your property in general
Paul highly recommends you safeguard your property before any major storms and winter weather by ensuring you:
- have safety switches installed and tested regularly
- know where your main switchboard is
- Check all your wiring is well protected and never exposed
You can engage a local electrician at any time to do a home electrical safety check to ensure you and your family members are not exposed to any major electrical risks.
What to do during a storm?
Knowing what to do when the storm or rain strikes is crucial. Paul advises:
- unplugging all major appliances from power points
- avoiding using your telephone, computers and TV during an electrical storm
- knowing how to locate the main switch and turn off power in case of flooding
- shutting down the solar PV system in the case of both electrical storms and flooding
What to check after a storm?
According to Paul, your home may still be at risk even after the storm. Do the following checks:
- See first if there is blackout in your area. If your home is the only property without power then get an electrician to check it
- Don’t turn on or use power outlets, switches or any light fitting with leaks
- Avoid your electrical switchboard if damaged by water
- Notice any water damage or exposed wiring? Get an electrician to check your wiring and ensure there is no other risk exposure.
About Paul Edelman from Edelman Electrics
Paul Edelman from Edelman Electrics Pty Ltd is based in Sydney’s Northern Beaches and has over 25 years experience in the electrical industry. Paul is also a member of NECA & Master Electricians Australia and has CEC Accreditation for solar installation, repairs & maintenance.
Check out Paul’s Top 3 Business Pick profile right here: Paul Edelman from Edelman Electrics.
More useful links
Original article: source