Paul Edelman on home renovation electrician considerations
Are you planning a major renovation or a new home build in your future?
According to Top 3 Local Business Pick member and electrical expert, Paul Edelman from Edelman Electrics based in Sydney, whilst it’s very easy to get carried away with the home design elements of your project, many homeowners tend to overlook basic practical considerations….especially around their electrical requirements.
Paul’s pre renovation electrical checks
According to Paul: “Before renovating get your wiring checked to cover any potential problems.”
“This will ensure things like if you have enough power provisions, whether the wiring is up to code and safe, safety switches and if your existing light fittings are earthed and safe.”
Paul also emphasises that older homes will usually require full or partial rewiring or a switchboard upgrade. This can be costed upfront and completed during the renovation project.
He also recommends completing your electrical wish list. “Ensure your wish list of electrical needs is covered in the long term, even if you cannot afford it all in the short term.”
This is even more important if you are considering things such as:
- Air conditioning
- Pool or spa or even a sauna
- Cooking needs, such as induction cook top or large electric ovens
- Type of water heating
- Floor heat
- Granny flat
- General increased power requirements
Paul also recommends these for designing room layouts:
- Kitchens and bathrooms – consider all the electrical appliances you have. Double adapters are not a practical option in these rooms so make sure your needs covered.
- Bedrooms – Consider bed placement for bedside power and also charging options for phones and tablets. Also consider if data/TV cable TV combination power point outlets requirements.
- Entertainment – This area requires a host of options, including multiple power points, data, TV and Cable TV, wired so that it is discreet and hidden from sight.
More importantly, Paul leaves the following advice: “In most cases, cheaper is definitely not better. Run any special electrical deals past your electrician first, just to make sure it’s well worth it and won’t cause you problems down the track”.
Want to talk to a recommended electrician?
Why not contact Paul Edelman from Edelman Electrics based in Sydney’s Northern Beaches today.